Originally called ‘St Luke’ the name was changed to ‘St Nathaniel’. First published in Psalms and Hymns for Divine Worship: collection for Presbyterian Church of England (James Nisbet, 1867). This copy from the 1901 reprint of Church Hymns with Tunes; ed. by Arthur Sullivan (S.P.C.K., 1874).
The tune was also used to set the words of ‘Great God of hosts, our ears have heard’ and ‘O God of hosts, the mighty Lord’.