Twenty-fourth Sullivan Festival
Glasgow, 21-23 May 2020
We are beginning on a Thursday in order to take advantage of the opportunity to see Scottish Opera’s new productions of Utopia, Limited and The Gondoliers on consecutive nights at the Glasgow Theatre Royal. This will be the first professional Utopia since 2011 and only the third in Britain since 1900. The Glasgow performance will be its première. The cast for The Gondoliers includes Ellie Laugharne, Ben McAteer, Sarah Pring and Richard Suart. The Utopia cast will be drawn from the Gondoliers company, and Ben McAteer will play King Paramount.Our base will be the Holiday Inn Glasgow Theatreland, situated a few minutes’ walk from the Theatre Royal.
We have secured rooms in the Holiday Inn and also in the adjacent (literally next door) Holiday Inn Express, which is less expensive and, consequently, offers slightly more modest levels of comfort. Unfortunately, the supplement for single occupancy of rooms is considerable, but we are happy to pair up single participants who are willing to share. Clearly, if two people attend together, they will be able to pair themselves. When booking, please indicate if you will be sharing with another named individual, or if you would like us to arrange a pairing.
Thursday 21 May
1730 Drinks reception
1915 Scottish Opera presents Utopia Limited at Glasgow Theatre Royal
Friday 22 May
0900 Talk by Dr. Anne Stanyon: Sullivan’s Glasgow Concerts
1000 Talk by Elaine Richardson: Herbert Sullivan
1200 Talk by Martin Yates: The Music of Utopia Limited
Afternoon free for sightseeing
1915 Scottish Opera presents The Gondoliers at Glasgow Theatre Royal
Saturday 23 May
0900 Talk by J. Donald Smith: Sullivan and Nancy McIntosh
1000 Talk by Stephen Turnbull: Vintage recordings of Utopia Limited
1100 Talk by Prof. Ian Bradley: Sullivan and Grove
followed by ‘The Long Day Closes’
Timings of talks may be subject to change, but mealtimes will not be affected.
Conditions of booking:
- Whilst every effort will be made to adhere to the advertised programme, the Sir Arthur Sullivan Society reserves the right to alter or cancel any item without notice.
- Neither the sir Arthur Sullivan Society nor any of its officers or agents can be held responsible for any loss or damage to the property of any participant, no matter how caused.
- Neither the Sir Arthur Sullivan Society nor any of its officers or agents can be held responsible for any injury to any participant, no matter how caused.
- No refund can be made in respect of any cancellation by the participant(s)
- Submission of a booking form is deemed to signify acceptance of these conditions.
If you are interested in joining us, please complete the booking form and send it along with your payment to Stephen Turnbull, Great Tregue Farmhouse, Lansallos, Looe, PL13 2PT; email@example.com. Until the actual cost is known we are not requesting a deposit, so this is completely without obligation. Everyone is welcome, whether or not you are a member of the Sullivan Society.